Sunday, March 13, 2016

Surprise!

Some people like to celebrate their birthday week - for me, it's my birthday MONTH. I like to be celebrated all month long in different ways. We'll be shopping and I'll get ice cream or some other special treat because "it's my birthday month"...etc. Well I had the ultimate surprise Thursday night with a visit from Mitzi and Anna! On my drive home I called Justin and told him I felt like eating out with him. He knew about the surprise and needed a way to get me out of the house anyway, so it was perfect! Except that I'm pregnant and the term "hangry" is elevated to a whole new level when the hunger hits. I expected to leave right away when I got home but nooooo, he said we needed to wait until at least 6:00 because he wasn't hungry (false - we needed to wait because Mitzi and Anna were stuck on the notorious 167 traffic and he was stalling). We get to Red Robin and wait...and wait....and wait. I start to notice other people get seated who walked in the door AFTER us - MUCH longer after us. I am beyond irritated at this point and we are finally seated. I'm chatting away with Justin and I see a person walk in who has a face that looks really similar to Mitzi - and then I see her carrying the cutest remodeled blue chair you ever did see - and I realize it IS Mitzi! And Anna walks in right behind her, taping the whole thing! Oh my gosh! I was so surprised and happy to see them. It made for a great story when I realized that Justin was stalling that whole time. I went to the bathroom right when we got to the restaurant and Justin told the front of house lady that there were actually four at our table, and he asked us to wait to seat us until Mitzi got there. When I was super upset about not being seated, he went to the front of house lady and said, "Nevermind, she can't wait any longer - we need to be seated." HAAA! I love that so much. So funny. We watched The Visit that night which was totally good and especially creepy watching it in our old farm house with our crazy dogs making crazy noises the whole time. Anna has the video, but I'll try getting it from her and posting it sometime.

Friday I took the day off. I originally put in a sub because Justin told me we were going to spend the day together...tricky boy! He totally pulled off the surprise - nice work babe! Anna was feeling worse from the day before, so I took Mitzi to a fun furniture store in Sumner and to Winco. She introduced me to Winco bagels - yummy!! The original plan was to go to Pike Place that day, maybe catch a ferry for fun and go to the space needle...but the day got away from us and after lunch at Chipotle we finally said 'forget it!' We got more paint supplies at Lowes, ice cream, and worked on our kitchen the rest of the day/night. Mitzi was a life saver - she showed us her tricks and gave us her tips and it helped so much. Having her there motivated me enough that we finished the cabinet frames - we were able to peel tape away and get a real sense that this project has an end in sight. We watched Juno in between painting sessions - how fitting. We worked until midnight which still shocks me that I was up that late...hello pregnancy! 

Saturday the plan was to drive to Portland and spend the day with Rachel, but Anna was even sicker than the day before. So they packed up and were gone by 8:30. It was such a fun surprise to have them come. Thankfully I got my flu shot back in December, so I dodged Anna's virus. The rest of the day we finished ALL our cabinet faces. Now we just have the drawers left which will take way less time because they have way less surface area. By next week we'll be ready to mount and place hardware. The end is in sight!

Other than the fun visit it was a week full of the remodel project. I did have a fist fight break out in one of my classes. I got between the two boys (big mistake) to try to break it up. That did no good. A fist went flying past my head and hit the other kid in the jaw - we all heard it pop! Jeeze these kids are going to put me into early labor. The only reason the fight ended from there was the OTHER kids -all bigger and stronger than me - got the one kid under control and I yelled at the other to run for his life to the office. 

Up until now we've felt like not knowing the gender of our baby would be fun...now we're thinking we might want to find out. I don't know though! So stay tuned and we'll see if we have a gender reveal after all. ;) 
I thought I wanted to repaint the ceiling a new color. I picked green to bring out the tones in the counters. We painted a small section with Mitzi and it didn't take long to decide white looked way better. We are loving the transformation.
I vacuumed out all the bottom drawers and found so much junk! I found a spoon that looks like something Grandpa Beal would eat Corn Bran with - it's got that super old farm look to it. p.s. Mitzi showed me that they sell Corn Bran at Winco. We ate it all weekend and it was amazing.

This has been such a mess and disaster!


After! It felt SO GOOD to take the tape off and take the plastic away. We put our cabinets back together Saturday morning. Things are looking up!!

The light isn't great in the kitchen or dining room so the headlamp helps me catch mistakes.

We have lots of touch up left, and the re-hanging and applying hardware is no joke - but we feel like we will hit our mark of finishing by Easter. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment