Sunday, February 23, 2014

Flying High!

Justin and I are flying high. We love it here! The weather has been out of this world. Except I'm already too hot...it's February...I'm going to die this summer. It doesn't help that we're in a record drought right now. Have you seen the news in California? I hope we have produce this year in our stores!

We had a very fun week. My parents were going to come last weekend to visit but it didn't work out. Too bad. I had Monday off which was nice because I had an extra day to recover from my cold. I used the day to help my friend dye her hair and shop for a new bed comforter. I found one on sale at Target and we got the whole set and new sheets for less than $100. We love it!

My mom bought tickets to the Donny and Marie Show downtown and since they didn't come down, Justin and I used the tickets. We made a night of it, so at 5:30 we drove down to the strip and had dinner and frozen hot chocolate at Serendipity. We went to the show at 7:30 and enjoyed meeting a couple from England. I kept thinking, "If my mom were here she would talk about the church to them...I have to say something!" Sure enough they happened to mention that they live right next to the "Mormon Church" so I asked "Oh are you familiar with the Mormons?" and they said a little and then I told them, "We're Mormon!" Ha! We talked a little about it and it sounds like the members there have really reached out to them so good work is being done! They were a nice couple. As for the show, we loved it! We didn't recognize any of the songs they sang but holy cow - they were good. At the end they sang a few Broadway numbers from The Sound of Music, Beauty and the Beast, and Wicked. They sang "For Good" and it reminded me of when Keaton and I sang that with a group when we graduated high school Presh!






Nachos!


Frozen Hot Chocolate!

Justin's brothers have been planning a trip down here and to the Grand Canyon and they said I could include Keaton if I wanted, so Wednesday I gave him a call and helped him book a flight to come see us in April and go to the Grand Canyon. I'm so excited! I'm having my students take part in the "Doodle 4 Google" competition where they could win a $30,000 scholarship and a $50,000 grant for their school. A lot of them are really talented artists so we're all excited!

Thursday I did a Jeopardy review with my classes. The kids got way into it. They are so fun! The Relief Society asked me to lead a station in the "New Year, New You!" activity. I ran the "nutrition" portion of the program and one of the sisters brought green smoothie to demonstrate how to make and sample. I preached to them about soluble and insoluble fiber and why they are both important. It was a lot of fun! The gal that did the green smoothies gave me some new ideas for how to do them and I'm excited to try it! I made a few new friends that night. Yeah!

Friday my students took the post test for the unit I taught. My classes all improved by 20-30% so that was awesome! One class went from a 62% class average to an 87% class average. They learned! Huzzah! I had 6 or 7 students get 100%. Happy, happy, happy! Justin and I ate out at Red Robin and used our club house hot tub for the first time. Soaking will become a regular activity! So nice.

Saturday we played Ultimate all day. We played with our group from 10-12 then played again at 2 with our ward for the "Floats and Frisbee" activity. We had a few adults and lots of youth play with us and we had a lot of fun. We did our grocery shopping and visited the hot tub again. Love it!

I'm done teaching water and now I'm onto weather. I start tomorrow with the new unit. I'm so glad to be done with my water unit because it's the one I'll be using for my portfolio which is due in a few weeks. This gives me plenty of time to put it together and make it perfect for when the BYU-Idaho employees come down to evaluate me. I'm so looking forward to our Girl's Weekend in April which has been set for the 25th! Next weekend we're playing in the "Trouble in Vegas" tournament with our teams back in Idaho. Our friends are coming down to play and a lot of them are staying the night at our place. Fun fun times!

No comments:

Post a Comment