Sunday, October 27, 2013

Pumpkins and Yellowstone

We've had a fun week. We carved pumpkins for FHE on Monday. Well, one pumpkin. We tried to get it to look like Jack off The Nightmare Before Christmas. I think we did pretty well.




I also got my hair cut. I think I need to put more layers in it because when I curl and straighten it it's too BLUNT at the bottom and I think it makes me look funny. I'll see.



I've been studying like mad for my upcoming mineralogy class. For almost 100 minerals, I have to know the silicate subclass or non-silicate group, paragenesis (where it's found), what it's used for, and its chemical composition. For identifying purposes, I also have to know the hardness, streak, luster, etc. It is AWFUL and I don't believe it is useful at all so therefore my bad attitude makes it that much worse. I take that test this Thursday. Again, if I don't get a 90% or higher (AKA, If I get more than THREE wrong...) I have to retake it!

To relieve all the stress Justin and I planned a trip to Yellowstone. We did one of the loops and saw the usual: hot pots, geysers, bison...but we also went to "The Grand Canyon of Yellowstone" complete with Yellowstone Falls (upper and lower). It was so pretty with the snow everywhere. We also got a glimpse of Yellowstone Lake which is HUGE! It was gorgeous with the Absaroka mountains in the background. Of course we hit Old Faithful and also my favorite spot: the prismatic hot spring. Here microbes live in the water which is what turns it blue, orange, green, and yellow! That is so awesome. I saw excellent gneiss in some roadcuts. We saw lots of bison, a fox, otters, swans, osprey, elk, and a bald eagle. The weather was perfect and it was good to get away from Rexburg for a spell.





In this area, we could hear the frost melting off the trees when the sun came around. The frost was so pretty.

These are called the "Painters Pots" because there are so many colors.
Orange and Red




The Canyon


Yellowstone Falls




Upper Falls

Prismatic Pots

Old Faithful

Microbes! and Gneiss!


When we got home we went to Sammy's for burgers and fries and a pie shake, and then we went to The Battle of the Dance show on campus. I loved it! There were so many great dance performances. One girl did a contemporary dance, and she's toured in Beijing! There was great talent but clever stories in the dances. The collegiate jazz team did a dance that featured girl life in college - it was hilarious and I loved it. IV Matics is a dance group that is always the best and they did a sweet show with a Halloween/Carnival theme.

We had a relief society activity where we painted pumpkins and made caramel apples. It was so fun! I love caramel apples.

Mary Kay is going well! I'm selling a little here a little there. I'm going to demo the men's shaving cream for the first time next week. That will be fun! Lots of guys on campus struggle shaving because it hurts so bad to do it regularly. Hopefully this product will bring them some relief! One of my friends asked me to do her hair and makeup for a date she went on. She looked great and I WISH I had taken before and after pictures! I was so flattered she asked me to do it!

As Las Vegas draws closer Justin is looking harder for work. He has help from an accounting staffing agent and we are praying like crazy that he'll get a job. Not just a job but a good job! I'm getting more nervous about teaching every day. The good news is a couple came over on Thursday and they want to take the apartment off our hands when we move, so that's a relief. Now we need to come up with costume ideas for Halloween! In other news, it's supposed to snow tomorrow....=/  

No comments:

Post a Comment