Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Teaching, Rolls, and Ultimate

Pretty slow week last week. I don't mind. I have a very easy schedule this semester which I love! I have tons of online classes which leave my schedule nice and open for work so I'm also able to bring in the big bucks!

My dear friend Lauren came up this weekend to visit. She is leaving for Madrid, Spain for her mission on May 1st! It worked out wonderfully because Justin went down to Provo to play in another ultimate frisbee tournament, so I could play with her without neglecting my hubby. T-Rexburg did well in Provo. They played BYU, ISU, BSU, and a few Montana teams. Fun fun!



We ordered jerseys...What can we say? We love it!

Saturday Lauren and I hung out all afternoon going on bike rides, walks, and doing all we could to enjoy the beautiful weather. That night we had a fire out to Beaver Dick Park and roasted star bursts and marshmallows. One kid showed up and ended up complaining, "I hate married people!" Ha....haters gonna hate!

I made rolls on Saturday. I wanted to try Mitzi's rolls that she brought to the girl outing last week, and Justin was gone so I needed a distraction. I accidentally used double the butter...and it was a glorious mistake. These rolls were amazing! And they make a million so Justin and I have been enjoying them all week.

I also had a quarterly Relief Society training Saturday morning that was a really great experience. It's funny that I assume that because everyone's a member of the church they have the same (or similar) life I do. But we really have a plethora of people will different trials and I'm grateful for the opportunity to serve and be a part of meeting people's needs.

All last week I taught at the middle school and I wrote all the lesson plans. On each evaluation our observers gave us tons of positive feedback so I feel very encouraged! I love teaching. I took pictures of what my students worked on this week. We did a 'renewable resource' activity that my teacher said she is going to tell her Ph.D. math friend about--score! I had a bowl of 30 star bursts with a class of 25 students. I told them they could take one, or none, or more than one, but that they should consider that after each round I would double the amount of starbursts left.
At first the kids went crazy and almost depleted the 'renewable resource' but after a few rounds they earned up to like 80 starbursts. One kid was so fun about it. There was always the boy who would take candy no matter what, and this other boy kept saying to him, "Stop taking the candy! It's for the greater good!" It was so cute. My teacher in the back was dying laughing. Granted they understand what a renewable resource is!


This group created a hydro-and-geothermal method to use a renewable resource in  Rexburg. The geothermal energy will melt the snow and they'll use the water for energy by building a dam. I'm so proud!

These guys decided solar energy in Rexburg will power everyone's TVs. 

Individually students created an innovation to replace a non-renewable resource with a renewable resource.
This airplane will have solar panels on it's wings! These kids are so smart.
These posters were around the room. Each has a resource on it (Nuclear energy, natural gas, fossil fuel, coal, diamond) and they had to answer specific questions about each resource.


I provided all the paper, pictures, and posters for them to do their projects and stations. I really loved teaching natural resources because it is easy to use earth science stuff to teach it. We had a lot of fun, and I'm excited to student teach in a year from now.

No comments:

Post a Comment