Friday, September 18, 2015

Week One Down: Treat Yo Self

Hey folks! Well, I have survived the first full week of school! I have crazy kids and I have awesome kids. Doesn't really matter where you teach: there is trouble everywhere and there are rock stars everywhere too! Just to review, I'm teaching 5 classes of 7th grade science. I have one accelerated class. I am THRILLED it is 6th period because I work out all the kinks of the lesson by that time, and I always end my day on a positive note. My other class periods only have a few hooligans to manage. My 5th period is HARD. Oh my goodness....these kids! But this week we've actually had a couple good days. Probably because some of the kids in class have been suspended all week...sad but true. I'm over here singing praises for the break from the crazy!
My "I made it through the first day teaching" selfie
I armed myself this year by reading a book about setting limits in the classroom. It has made SUCH a difference. Had I not read it, I think I'd already be burned out. There's a teacher next door that came from teaching seniors in high school and she and I have become friends. I gave her the book to borrow and she agrees it's a life saver! My kids know to pee, drink water, and come prepared and on time because there is NO leaving my classroom and you dang well get sent to the attendance office if you're late. These kids are held ACCOUNTABLE dangit! Ha. It may sound harsh, but as a teacher, it's the only way to keep my sanity! They know at this point that if they don't want to cooperate, they get extra homework so heck yeah they are shaping right up. The kids know I mean business but I'm also fun. It is a great balance.

This week has been interesting. I've had kids with asthma attacks, crying, kids storming out of my room swearing at the top of their lungs, fist fights, and non-compliance in every form imaginable. I've even had kids accuse me of yelling the F-word at them. Ha...do you know me at all? Seriously, these 7th graders are crazy! Ha! But somehow, I think they've learned a little bit about kinetic energy - you know - the stuff they're supposed to be paying attention to but it's slightly impossible when kids are throwing chairs across the room.

I really love the other teachers I work with and my administrators. They have my back and I have great support from them. I have two class periods then prep, then lunch, then two periods and then my accelerated class. It's a sweet schedule!

This week Justin and I went to the temple on Thursday night. Wednesday night we had McTeacher night where the teachers served food at McDonald's. Our school got 20% of the funds McD's made that night. My job was to dance outside the place and lure in traffic to come get a burger. You know you did a good job when you can get other drivers to dance with you on their grumpy commutes and even get them to come buy a shake to donate to your cause! It was fun to see kids and parents outside of school - "it's like seeing a dog walk on its hind legs." https://vine.co/v/Ou6przvji7d

I've been really tired all week getting used to my new schedule. I go to bed no later than 9:00 and we get up every morning at 5:00. I'm excited about that healthy new habit as I now read my scriptures and pray every morning before getting ready. I'm getting proper sleep and forming good habits so my physical and spiritual self is thanking me.

Sassy Justin quote of the week - upon getting home from the temple, we went to get dessert at safeway. He got chocolate chip cookies then asked what I wanted. I said maybe Oreo's but that I "probably didn't need it." Justin - in his most sassy-self ever - said, "You made it through the week: Treat Yo Self!" If you missed the reference, check out this short clip:
Treat Yo Self
Treat Yo Self! And yes, we watched this the last 10-15 minutes of class today because it was PAT time Friday so it introduced us to the weekly prize.

It's the Washington State Fair in Puyallup for the next few weeks. We got free tickets cuz I'm a teacher so we may go, but we may just have a chill weekend. Until next time remember to Treat Yo Self!

1 comment: