Thursday, June 6, 2013

Ultimate, Field Trips, and Babies

This last week we've had a lot of fun things happen. Justin and I won our games last week. Both our teams had the same scores: 13-5! It was tons of fun. My team has really picked up the game quickly and they've grown so much!




*These two videos got split on accident...this was the same play.

I had a geology field trip to Montana last Saturday to Butte and Quake Lake. In Butte we went to the Burkley Pit and talked to a lady from EPA all about it. The pit is really big, but because we were far away we couldn't get a feel for how big it really is. We needed something for scale! We went to a memorial where 147 men died in a single mining accident. In the monument they had a poster you could read about "The Women of the West" and it talked about how Butte Montana had one of the most notorious red light disctricts in the west....whaaaat? I found that super interesting.

They made the monument out of the rock they drilled
with hollow tubes to see where to mine

The Berkley Pit has a pH of 2.2....crazy!

At Quake Lake our teacher described the earthquake and the landslide and it's fun for us because he is obsessed with landslides so he gets animated. He's only 30 years old and super chill so this class has been easy and fun. There was a lot of schist to collect (shiny metamorphic rock). We went to the reservoir and saw the houses that were affected by the sieche wave from the earthquake/landslide. Trisha told me someone in her ward was going to go camping that night but the campground was full so they camped in Island Park. Crazy!


Gneiss

The earthquake siesmic waves got concentrated in the area behind me causing the landslide that dammed up the river  giving us Quake Lake


After I got home Justin and I went straight to Trisha's house to hang out with her family and Mitzi who came into town for McCoy's baby blessing. We ate pizza and caramel popcorn all night. Chase and Rachel came and we played some lightning. I had to finish some stupid homework so I did that while Justin, Mitzi, & Chase and Rachel went to get dessert. We watched "The Impossible" which I loved because in both my Oceanography class and my Environmental Geology class we talked about the Sumatra earthquake and the tsunami. This movie was insane. I can't stop thinking about it and I watched it nearly a week ago! We really enjoyed it.

Sunday Justin and I went to our regular church and skipped sacrament to take a nap since we would be having sacrament meeting with Trisha's ward. Travis blessed little McCoy Seth Phillips. Travis asked Justin if he wanted to stand in the circle so I thought that was presh. We had lasagna after church which Justin and I helped Trisha prepare earlier in the week. We had a nice crowd and though it was windy, Trisha's house blocked the wind so we had a very nice afternoon just hanging around.
McCoy Seth Phillips =]

Justin always pets the glabella on baby heads

This week I'm almost finished with two first block classes. I take the final for one of them tomorrow. I'm enjoying my practical homemaking class. Tuesday we made bread dough and we're baking it today in class. On my way home I was riding my bike and this couple was walking on the sidewalk so I picked a side to go around them but the guy decided to move that way so I went off the sidewalk to avoid hitting him. My bike doesn't have good breaks so I tried to stop but I only slowed down a little and then ka-boom...bike wreck. I didn't get hurt too bad, but what I was most frustrated with was the stupid couple just kept walking by like they didn't just see me fall flat on my face. Ugh...I'm still mad at them. They didn't even say, "Are you okay?" They didn't even look at me! Jerks! And my pants got ruined, which is the worst part of all.

So the next two days I'm getting all ready to go to the grand canyon again. The only sad thing about this year is the teacher is more strict, so no shorts except for the hike in the actual canyon. Gag me. He said it will be at least 105 degrees. I'm going to suffocate!

No comments:

Post a Comment