Sunday, January 13, 2013

Guess Who...

Guess who has been called to be the new relief society president?...this girl! I am so excited! But sort of sad too. This last week I was thinking about where I was a year ago; I had just been called to be relief society president in my singles ward. I LOVED IT SO MUCH and I was thinking about how I missed it. Currently,  I am one of the ward organists and at first I was very reluctant to take that calling...gag I barely knew how to play the organ, and the other organist was very good! But just YESTERDAY after practicing I told Justin how I really enjoy it now, and I'm getting a feel for the spirit of the hymns. Practicing the hymns feels like studying my scriptures! So it's ironic that right when I feel "yeah I can play the organ!" I am released. So, I'm a little sad I won't be playing the hymns for sacrament meeting anymore, but I'm also very excited for this new calling.

This semester is busy busy for Justin and me. I am in an education practicum course where we teach 6th grade geography to Madison middle school students. I have two co-teachers, and we find the content on our own and create a way to teach it together. Of course, we are all math and science majors, so we have to become experts on geography within the next week to be ready to teach. We teach three days straight, then have six days to prepare for the next section of content. I happened to find a "macarena" jingle that goes with the "eight geographic regions" of the U.S. and Canada. Sweet! This has been the "make you or break you" course for education majors, and luckily I happened to get a great teacher. I have heard horror stories about some of the other professors (bless their hearts) and I did NOT want to get stuck in one of those sections. I took a gamble by selecting a lady who just moved here from Oregon and she's GREAT. Go Sister Hall!

Justin and I are both working and full time students. He is still in the foundations department and I am training new tutors at the Reading Center. I put in 20 solid hours last week. Hopefully every week isn't that busy. Justin is earning enough credits (150) to get his CPA so he is also busy with classes. We are both involved with our frisbee friends. The men have created a solid club team and as of now I've been helping organize a women's team. We hope to play in Vegas at the end of March. We had practice on Saturday and had a good turn out. It just might work out!

Rexburg has been freezing, as usual. We drove to church this morning in -19 degree weather. Our car is such a trooper (thank you Hart and Jory, Mitzi and Scott, and Mom and Dad)...it starts no problem in this deathly cold weather.

Justin and I reupholstered our kitchen chairs. They are SO CUTE now! I love them. Here's the before and after. We did four of them. Thanks to a 50% off coupon at Porters, this was a $10 ordeal. Love.




That's about it. Until next time...does anyone have any great relief society activity ideas?


No comments:

Post a Comment