Monday, December 5, 2011

'Tis the Season

Last week I did some fun things with my roommates. For example, Monday night after FHE we went to Walmart and my two friends bought fake nails. I bought some liquid eyeliner and I love it! But anyway, that night my two friends did their nails and once they got done they asked if I wanted to do it too! I was skeptical, but I caved into the pressure and I like them! The only problem is I can't play the piano well at all (I can't feel where I am which is totally throwing me off) and typing and texting is slightly annoying, but they're pretty.

Tuesday's devotional was particularly good. A lady from the English Department spoke, so I had a good feeling about her from the very beginning. She did a great job, but one of the things she brought up made me rather upset: I hate when people put labels on women according to how old they are when they get married.

Feel free to skip to the next * if you want to bypass this rant.

For example, in the devotional a story was told of a girl who got married when she was in her 30's, and she said, "I relied on the Lord instead of my husband." Umm, excuse me? So what, because some women get married in their 20's that means they don't rely on the Lord, too? Or, on the flip side, some people say, "She was more righteous, therefore she was blessed with a husband early in life." What the heck? People are so dumb. How is anyone inferior to anyone else according to what age they marry at?? That argument is completely invalid and I would be embarrassed if I was responsible for articulating such nonsense.

*Whenever I can, I try to plan my gym trips with The O'Reilly Factor's TV schedule. I get on the treadmill, pop my headphones in, and listen away! The other night he did a segment where they interviewed random US citizens and asked them about the Republican Presidential Candidates. Some of them couldn't name one candidate! Determined to never be one of those ignorant people, I have diligently been studying up on the candidates at work during my down time (which is, let's face it, all the time). In Relief Society on Sunday, the teacher asked what are some responsibilities of citizens, and I said to vote! People laughed, but I'm serious. Get educated people! Don't be a pinhead!

Wednesday afternoon I went to lunch with my parents and my brother Chase at Costa Vida. I really enjoy my parents, and I'm grateful I'm able to see them often. I just think they are the most attractive, funny, and stalwart people I know! They are also the best examples of an eternal marriage and family. They raised nine pretty dang good kids (if I do say so myself) and six of them are married in the temple raising their own awesome families.

Turns out my back right tire had a nail in it, so I got that fixed that afternoon, and that night I went to Breaking Dawn! I quite liked it. I laughed a lot at the dumb stuff and made fun of the sick stuff, so it was way fun.

Thursday night the Frisbee league had our end of the semester banquet. Everyone got dressed up nice, they fed us a nice dinner, and then we had speakers, awards, and a slideshow. I was asked to speak, and let me tell you, it was super awkward because everyone was talking while I was up there trying to say what I'd prepared. I just plowed through and after I sat down, the coordinator got up and asked everyone to be quiet. I was pretty embarrassed, but it was no big deal.

Every year the coaches get authentic BYU-Idaho Competitive Ultimate discs, and this year we got JIPPED!! This was very disappointing to me, because I'd been looking forward to getting that disc all season. But my team surprised me with a disc they bought and signed for me, so that was awesome! Thanks guys!

Friday night Lauren and I went to The Battle of the Dance show and had a really fun time. I knew one of the groups, Formatics, before they performed, and I knew they were good! I took a video of their dance, but I can't upload it from my laptop. I'm trying to upload it from my smart phone, so if it works, that post will come later.

After the show, we were inspired so we danced to Justin Bieber and Mariah Carey's All I want for Christmas is You about 500 times. We love JB. Two posters of him hang in our room, and we can often be found singing Mistletoe when we're together. Heaven help additional passengers when Mistletoe comes on the radio while we're driving in Lauren's car.

Saturday my roommates and I went to Applebee's for dinner, and then we went to the Christmas program at the I-Center. Weeks ago I saw a poster for this and I knew I wanted to go because Brian Stokes Mitchell would be there. He's the soloist that sings with MoTab every year at Christmas time, and he is great! I loved it. I'm one of those people that gets high off the Christmas spirit, and nothing brings that spirit better than great music.

Sunday was very cold. There was no cloud cover whatsoever, and there was a North wind, so it was quite miserable. My phone said it was -9 at some point yesterday. Brrrr. My friends and I stayed up watching Walk the Line and eating potatoes from the oven. 

Today the high is 18 with a low of 0 degrees. Bring on the cloud cover and snowfall so it can really feel like Christmas and it can be back to 30 degrees! I got an email from a missionary friend in Taiwan; he is complaining of the "cold" 60 degree weather. I know; I hate him too.

Well that is my life for last week. I have this week, then next, and the semester is over! My job will be over, and I'll spend a few weeks in Arco waiting for Winter Semester to begin. It's coming on fast, and I can't wait!

Saturday afternoon this was waiting for me when I got home from the gym:
Cute! Every girl in the history of forever wants to get flowers. Lucky me!

No comments:

Post a Comment