Tuesday, February 4, 2020

Craters, Sledding, and more

January didn't feel long at all in our household - I was chatting with Mom and she and I decided that March is truly the harder month to get through. Januray is still definitely WINTER so you just busy yourself with winter things. I follow @busytoddler on instagram and this is one of her ideas for something fun for kids to do. I put a cookie at the end of each of their paths...motivation hahaha.





Oh man...when Daddy's in charge...


Ha! Justin captured this moment - his face kills me🤣


practicing his steering

Logan reading to himself


Emmett killing a spider


Daddy shenanigans


I managed to sub two days in January. More recently I had the 5tha nd 6th graders for social studies. One kid said, "Mrs Rose, you're like, the only sub that - like - actually makes us do our work." hahaha. 






In serious need of a haircut and color
 We had a few semi-nice days in January, meaning it was in the high 20's low 30's mixed between the below-zero and wind chilled days. I loved watching the kids play outside while I made dinner.






 Lacy (lives in Grandma's house) and I did a babysitting swap so we had Urban and Sloane over for a few hours and then we took all the kids sledding. Holy. Cow. This sled hill was insane. I thought it looked steep but the other moms were sending their little kids (some smaller than mine) so I thought I was just being a baby. So I decided to go down with Logan to start. My life flashed before my eyes! It was so scary and I had to put the brakes on to keep us from going too fast. The other moms convinced me to go down with one of their sleds so I did that with Emmett. It was more sturdy than mine but it was still horrible!





awesome view of the mountains



on the last run I let Emmett go alone with the other kids...oh my...

Emmett made a triceratops family



The kids love playing pretend with my hot glue guns
Mom watched the kids one Saturday so Justin and I could hike around Craters. I made it to the top of one of the cinder cones (Justin waited about 100 m below) and had an awesome view of the rest of the rift zone, plus the Lost River range across the way. I love me some quality time with Justin.



rift zone






The kids love "going fishing" - If I was a cooler mom I'd take them ice fishing again. Sorry kids you'll have to wait for Uncle Chase to come back.

I made a lemon-chicken soup the other day - the broth was to die for!!! I've been getting tons of recipes from @lifeisbutadish on instagram

playing around with parting my hair on the opposite side

pretty winter sunsets





Thank you Grandma Rose for the paint brushes!

I meal planned the ENTIRE month of January - this is so unlike me - but the payoff was so great that I was motivated to do it again in February. I'll include my list of dinners from January and what I have planned for February. We made a trip to Costco (just in time with all these drifts and road closures!) and stocked up - I even bought one of those ridiculously huge things of ground beef and separated them into ziplock bags at home to freeze for individual meals. 

JANUARY MEALS
French Dip 
Cresent Rolls
Chicken Fajita Soup
Lemon-Parmesan Chicken
Mexican Lasagna
Bang Bang Chicken
Spaghetti
Honey-lime Enchiladas
Corn Chowder
Butter Chicken with Garlic Naan
Enchilada Casserole
Sweet n Sour Meatballs
Turkey Taco Bake
Lemon Chicken Soup
Chicken Orzo Skillet

FEBRUARY PLANNED MEALS
Lasagna
Chicken and Black Bean Nachos
Taco Salad
Hawaiian Haystacks
Asian Salad with Bang Bang Chicken
Cresent Rolls
Meatloaf with Twice Baked Potatoes
Asian Beef and Broccoli
Fajitas
Valentine Burgers
Butter Chicken with Garlic Naan
Cornbread Casserole
Chicken Wings with Garlic Herb Potatoes
Spaghetti
Homemade Pizza
Zuppa Toscana Soup
Pulled Pork with Kale Salad 
Turkey Burrito Bowls
Chicken Pad Thai
Creamy Chicken Pesto Pasta



 I know I already posted on facebook about this but I've got to record it here too: I'm the new primary chorister! I'm excited and also not at the same time. Like...I think I need my own church budget haha! So many things I'd like to do but I need to reign it in 🤣 I made a liahona to play with during singing time on my first Sunday. We didn't get to use it for long so I think I need to pull it out again next Sunday. Anyway! It's fun having Mom and Dad in primary (though I can't look at them or I'll cry) and I LOVE looking down at the little sunbeams and seeing Emmett there while we sing the simple truths of the gospel 🥰 (also can't look at him too often or else 😭).



Emmett got a hold of all the oranges and made a dinosaur egg nest. He was even sitting on them! 🤣

Sunday after church I wasn't feeling 100% and Monday morning woke up with a cold. It was a good day to be home sick because we had 30 mph winds and crazy drifting all day! They cancelled school that day AND today from the drifts! So it was a good day to hang out and do nothing but rest. 

I made a green smoothie for us all to share - we'd been eating blueberries all day pretty much. I've been really strict with my eating for this round of the cold and it has really helped. Not only have I had my celery juice in the morning but I've been doing another round of 16 oz in the evening. Celery juice flushes pathogens and does all sorts of other blah blah good stuff - I noticed after drinking it I would feel less congested! It's like the juice sucked all the snot away.🤣 Justin has been skeptical of my celery ways, but even he couldn't deny my improved state. Normally when I get sick I am down and out - not this time! This was one of my motivators for trying celery in the first place. I don't have the best immune system and your gut is responsible for 70-80% of your immune system! This juice is great for gut health. I also started taking zinc really early with the tickle in my throat and would take a couple capsules every few hours - zinc shock therapy. 







He's my favorite 💖🥰

January was a good month overall! I've been crushing my goals - I read seven books toward my goal to read 60 for the year. I'll include the list of what I read, plus my 2019 list.  ** denotes a particularly good/important book in my opinion. I read a mix of novels, non-fiction, and self-help/parenting. I think of parenting books as my "professional development" and try to read one every month. 

JANURAY 2020 BOOKS
Just Mercy **
To Kill a Mockingbird
The Tattooist of Auschwitz ** 
Before We Were Yours
Nine Perfect Strangers
The Millionaire Next Door
Oh Crap! I Have a Toddler

My 2019 Book List

AUGUST
The Heavy
Into the Wild
Missoula **
Under the Banner of Heaven
Three Cups of Tea
Three Cups of Deceit
The Great Alone
A Long Walk to Water **
The Nightingale **

SEPTEMBER
The Out-of-Sync Child
Maybe You Should Talk to Someone **
Boundaries
All We Ever Wanted
How to Make Children Mind (without losing yours)
The Complete Guide to Fasting

OCTOBER
Station Eleven **
Something Borrowed
Where Men Win Glory
The House We Grew Up In
Uninvited
The Kite Runner **
The Total Money Makeover 
Night Road

NOVEMBER
The Next Mormons **
A Thousand Splendid Suns
Where the Crawdads Sing **
David and Goliath
Oh Crap! Potty Training! ** (like 100 times in preparation for potty training Logan).

DECEMBER
We Were the Lucky Ones **
Little Fires Everywhere
Peace Like a River 

Also read in 2019 (JANUARY - JULY)
The Hate U Give
Night
Educated **
Girl Wash Your Face
Girl Stop Apologizing
The Vaccine-friendly Plan **
How to End the Autism Epidemic **
Leading With Us
Parenting with Love and Logic **
The Subtle Art 

Mobility, mobility, mobility ... that is the name of the lifting game!
I've been working hard to improve my posture to improve my overhead squats and snatches. I'm proud of my progress on my snatch especially - I used to not be able to snatch the bar alone. I started very slow - I couldn't put my arms above my head and do a squat! It was weird...but anyway - making progress.
**I'm able to send these videos to my coach and she tells me what to do to improve** 

Overhead squat before...
Getting better - my coach says when my ankle mobility improves I'll be able to sit down straighter and not have to compensate by pushing my hips back so far.


solid snatch at 55# (again - used to not be able to do the bar!!)


snatch at 60# - a little wobbly but, we got it up there


snatch at 65# - failed. But I can pull that weight (and more) so I know it's just a matter of working on my mobility to be able to safely drop under that weight and catch it.

1 comment:

  1. A truly intelligent person knows what not to read. I know that you are intelligent. Beware of the philosophies of man, ha

    ReplyDelete