Thursday, July 24, 2014

Atomic Weekend

Justin and I had another great week and another great vacation up to Idaho. Last weekend was the annual Atomic Days celebrated in Arco for being the first city in the world to be lit by atomic power. As my family grows continually larger it gets harder to get together. In the past five years or so we've agreed to get together for my dad's birthday, but this year we met for Atomic Days instead. It was especially great to hang out with my brother Chase and his wife Rachel. They live in Oklahoma and they'll be all over the country for school for the next couple of years so it was great to get together with them since it probably won't happen again until next year! Justin and I flew into Boise because that flight was cheaper than a flight to Idaho Falls and my gracious sister Mitzi took us in that night and woke up super early Friday morning to book it over to Arco (three hour drive). Her kids are champion travelers. Friday was a lot of hanging around my parent's house visiting, dipping in Gabe's inflatable pool, watching all my nieces and nephews play, and eating! That night my brother Hart set up the projector screen and we watched My Big Fat Greek Wedding. I've seen parts of it before but it was really funny watching it with my family.
teaching the family how to play "Bang!"

Gabe's kids and Mitzi's kids

pool time!

front yard movie

Granny and her wagon!
Saturday morning Keaton, my niece Hailey, and I woke up early to participate in the annual Atomic Days Fun Run. I trained a little bit for two weeks before the race and ended up getting first of my age group (don't worry, there were only like four people in my age group). Keaton got 2nd in his age group and Hailey also got 2nd in her age group so we all earned medals. Woot! Prizes are always raffled off at this event and Keaton won THE grand prize of $250 worth of propane (only in Idaho...) which my dad will gladly use. I won a water bottle and Hailey won a gift card for free food at a local burger joint. It was a successful morning! I also enjoyed seeing old teachers and friends downtown.




After cleaning up back at the house we all headed back into town for the parade. It was fun to watch all the kids fill their bags with candy. We saw some old high school friends there which was fun. We had a simple lunch and headed to the Mackay Dam to break up the day with a dip in the reservoir. It was fun driving up and back with Chase, Rachel, and Keaton. After our swimming excursion Justin and I headed back into town to pick up a birthday cake I ordered for my sister and her daughter. Trisha had a birthday on the 16th and it was Shae's birthday that day. We don't do a lot of surprises in our family so I was happy to try to make it a special day for them. After dinner we had a fire with s'mores and ice cream cones. Gathering around the fire are by far my favorite Beal tradition. I'm so happy to sit back and laugh at all the stories that are told. It's the best! I stayed up with my brothers and my dad until 1:30 before calling it a night.
At the "beach"




After his race, Keaton decided to clean off in the pool rather than the shower...farm boys...

Parade ready!


Mackay Dam



Sunday Mitzi was - yet again - a super trooper. She woke up at 5:00 with Justin and I to load the van and be on the road by 6:00. Her kids were troopers as well. We had a great ride home - those three hours FLEW by and we caught our plane with plenty of time to spare. We are so grateful to her for making that trip possible! It was certainly a fast two days: I really hope I can make it to Redfish for camping with the Beals in August. Two days just wasn't enough time.

Yesterday Justin and I played for our summer ultimate league. Our team was missing three of our better players but we ended the night winning both our games. We FINALLY beat the team we've lost to every game up to this point and we beat them 11-5 so it was an awesome night of ultimate. I had a huge catch in the end zone but slammed my knee coming down. Luckily there was no twisting for a more serious injury. Earlier I went in to the district office and signed all my paperwork for hire and my contract. It's official: Say hello to the newest teacher in the Clark County school district! I'll be teaching 7th and 8th grade earth-and-physical science at Schofield: the school I student taught at! It could not have worked out better for me. This is a dream come true and I am hoping they bring me on to the girls basketball coaching staff! I start work in August so I have a few weeks of freedom left. I really wish I could get into the classroom I'll be teaching in to set things up the way I won't be able to get in the school until August at the earliest so...that's what's going on with my teaching scene. That's all our news for now.



No comments:

Post a Comment