Sunday, August 25, 2013

Apple Orchard and Mesa Falls

It's been a delightfully boring time in Rexburg this week. We feel great about it! Justin and I worked all week 8-5 and enjoyed the evenings working out. Like I said, Justin is determined to lose weight and he has been hitting the weights hard! Chase has been missing a workout buddy so he was happy to be Justin's for the week. They're doing the "Big Man on Campus" workout on bodybuilding.com. I did some of the stuff with Justin later in the week while Chase was on his survival hike and WOOF! I need to find Justin a new workout buddy because when Chase moves away I am not doing it!
We were doing leg press and I had to take a 45 pound weight off the bar. I realized this is how much weight I've lost total so I had Justin take a picture. I could barely lift it! It's so weird to think that much more weight was on my body once. 

We've been soaking up the summer weather like it's nobody's business. On pinterest and facebook everyone is talking about fall and going back to school. I just got out of school! And I still have three weeks of summer left, thank you very much. Though I am looking forward to fall clothing...but not looking forward to a budget that doesn't allow me to buy any new fall clothes...ha.

Friday we had a date night with our friends Ryan and Sara Miskin. The apple orchard on campus is open and apples are $0.50/pound! Booya. We left with oodles of apples for $3.00. We had a picnic in the Ricks Gardens and then played a few rounds of Bocce Ball. After that Justin and I went for a walk on a path near the river. It was really pretty and we saw a ginormous rainbow. We finished our night by watching "Get Smart."
These bunnies were so cute!
So cute I could die! 


Saturday we worked out together, I gave Justin a hair cut, and we had a really lazy afternoon. I wanted to go to Mesa Falls, but the Mesa Falls Marathon was going on so we waited until evening to go. We stopped at the Lower Falls first because I wanted to do a hike my family had done there a few years ago. We got there just after a guy went over the falls in his kayak! People were all gathered watching it and said we just missed it Darn. We found a sign for a hike that was to the lower falls and it was 0.8 miles away. That sounded right! I started my gps tracker so we could pace how far we were going how fast. The weather was overcast with clouds in the sky and it gave an eerie muffled silence to everything. A bird flew out of its nest as we walked by and we nearly jumped out of our skins. We walked and talked for less than 10 minutes, all the while making plenty of noise to alert the wildlife, when we came to a fork in the road. We weren't far from the car so we figured we could just pick a path and go down it for a while and when we were over it we could simply turn around. We chose the left path which took a steep downhill, and not 30 yards later I stopped and turned to Justin and asked, "What do you think?" I wasn't excited about hiking back up this on the way back. He paused then said, "I'm just not getting good vibes." I was suppressing similar feelings, but when he said he didn't have a good feeling my nerves heightened and we were out of there. So it wasn't just me being silly. It was an interesting situation. Part of it was our own fault. We broke the #1 hiking rule: TELL SOMEBODY where you're going! If something had happened nobody would have known. We talked about distinguishing between your own thoughts and having a prompting and we concluded that in our case we were both feeling very uneasy very quick into the hike (seriously 10 minutes maybe) and it wasn't worth it to ignore the feeling even if it wasn't a prompting. Just last week Dad gave us all serious counsel about listening to promptings. We relaxed when we got to our car and we drove to the Upper Falls, but I didn't want to pay $5 so we headed back to Ashton. On the way home we were caught in what may have been the reason for our promptings: All the sudden we were driving through tons of rain on the verge of turning to hail, thunder, and lightning. A ways into it we looked at each other and concluded, "This is why we felt like we needed to turn around!" Most likely the storm would have hit us while we were at the bottom of the hike which would mean hiking back up in rain and thunder and lightning. We were already near large volumes of water; if there was any sort of flash flood we could have been in a serious situation. Now, thankfully, we didn't hike to the bottom to find out so I can't say all that like that's what would have happened, but I'm grateful that we both received a prompting that made us both stop to ask the other if they were getting the same vibe. Justin said he initially felt it as soon as we started hiking, but suppressed it. When I asked him how he felt he realized it wasn't just him feeling uneasy. 
I did pretty good on his hair cut, don't you think? Ha it's just because you can't see it up close...;)

We drove through some excitement on the way to Ashton and when I turned to see where we were it was like two storms had combined. It felt good to be driving away from that. It felt even better to stop at FrostTop in Ashton and get a delicious bacon cheeseburger with tater tots and a caramel, chocolate, oreo shake. Yum! We watched "Far and Away" that night. Justin had never seen it! It reminded me of Chase since it's one of his favorite movies and he is moving to Oklahoma soon.
While we ate we saw 4 ambulances drive by. There must have been a ton of accidents because of the storm.

Sunday the Rose and Hunter Families got together to do the annual NFL Fantasy Football draft. Justin and I tuned in via skype and while I waited for my turn I did a craft I've been excited about. Justin's mom gave me some cork board when we were in Washington and I've been wanting to do this since.
Originally I wanted to just wrap the whole thing in fabric. This way I wouldn't have to worry about fraying edges and it would be done in about 30 seconds. I didn't want to spend money so instead of buying new fabric at Porters, I looked in my old scraps of fabric and found a huge piece left over from when I reupholstered our kitchen chairs. Unfortunately, it was just shy in width to be able to wrap around the whole thing to staple nicely, so I had to get crafty.
It's hard to tell from the picture, but the outside has 1" trim of different fabric to compensate for the width problem. There are no frayed edges from cutting the fabric and I didn't sew a thing. This is how I did it! ! 
First I meticulously cut out several pieces of fabric that were 2" wide. The pieces of fabric were all about this size, so I had to do a lot of overlapping to cover the perimeter of the board. 
Then I folded and ironed 1/2" of fabric on both sides like this so there wouldn't be any fraying edges showing.
At the ends where I stapled two pieces together I folded and ironed the edges so there was no fraying anywhere.
 
I also cut the folded piece in toward the center because if I didn't, parts would stick out when I stapled it down.
After all the pieces were done I laid them all out perfectly and when I decided I liked it I started stapling away! The fabrics are so similar you can hardly tell it's different. Originally I wanted to do a yellow trim, but I didn't have enough yellow so I went with this. I think I like this better because it will go with any color I put on it. Like I said this is cord board so I plan on putting pictures, spiritual thoughts/scriptures, friend's wedding announcements, etc. on here. It's so cute and I love it! Thanks again Judy for letting us have the board!
And that is how I did it! It is truly pinterest-worthy. I think it could be so fun with the same folding/ironing technique with strips of fabric all the way toward the center. Next time!

As for this week I'm babysitting my friend's 3 month old for two days from 7:30 to 5:00. I may as well get some good practice in! Hopefully all goes well.  






No comments:

Post a Comment