Sunday, October 14, 2012

Straw Maze

What a great week we had here in Rexburg! The weather was fantastic. No wind and not too cold with beautiful fall trees everywhere! The leaves are on the ground here and there, but for the most part they're still on the trees looking very festive.

For FHE we went to Idaho Falls to run errands. We had our coordinator's meeting before which always puts us both in a bad mood, so it felt good to get away. As some of you know, coordinating has been hard on Justin and me because they are changing things up in ways that make it feel like we're running a concentration camp, and we're not even allowed to play. Of course, I've been trying to ignore a lot of it. But there are threats of teams being ineligible to play in championships, so I'm being forced to comply. Dumb.

Tuesday we had our rec frisbee game. We played a team that actually scored a little bit against us so that was fun to have a challenge. I was still pretty sick, and I had to play the whole game because we didn't have any subs, so by the end I was almost certain I would have a setback. I went to bed immediately and was fine the next day.

Wednesday morning I took my physics test and got an A so that was a blessing. My teacher, Brother McNiel, is one of the coolest teachers ever! During my time here I've had a few teachers who have had a tremendous positive influence on me, and he is one of them. I want to be a science teacher just like him. You know those people you meet who are just so witty? That is Brother McNiel! Full of wit and humor....his class is my favorite thing. I have another teacher, Brother Lewis, who has Chase in another class so he teases me about him sometimes. He always calls me "Sister Rose!" with such enthusiasm, it cracks me up. He'll say stuff like, "Sister Rose! Your brother has an answer for everything!" He's a cool guy, and his class is easy. Win win. Justin and I had a meeting with our frisbee coaches Wednesday night and then went to the temple. We usually go on Wednesday or Thursday every week which has been wonderful! When I was single I could only do baptisms for the dead, and they only allow walk-ins to do work from 6AM to 3PM, often turning people away at 12 because there's generally a 3-hour wait. It has been so nice being able to go at night.

Friday night we had frisbee games. I made a "congratulations" sign for one of my coaches who got engaged. She said she might buy my dress so that would be sweet. I got really nervous because one of the supervisors of competitive sports showed up at the games and I thought for sure he'd see me breaking his policies and fire me...but he didn't (phew). The games were very exciting. I had a hard time keeping my mouth shut...no girls lay out EVER, so sitting on the sideline watching girls barely miss catches because they couldn't bend over far enough drives me crazy....lay out for goodness sake! Anyway...Justin and I watched the new Project Runway after the games. Next week the finale premiers while I'll be on a geology field trip....seriously? I'm so anxious to see who wins. I like everyone who's left so it's hard for me to pick a favorite...right now I think it's a toss up between Demitri and Christopher for the win...we shall see.

Saturday I woke up early and studied at the library for three hours before taking my geology test. I was in the testing center for two and a half hours taking that test. Half was write on while the other half was multiple choice. I think I spent an hour alone on the final essay question. Strangely enough, I kind of liked taking that test. He asked us to draw diagrams to explain certain concepts and I had fun showing off my knowledge. I hope I get another A! Justin and I went to the Archer straw maze for a date that night and had so much fun! The owners have a wallabee they bought off the internet and a camel they raised from birth....random! We took a ride on their wagon around a field and of course spent time getting lost in the maze. The maze turns haunted after dark, so I made sure we had time to enjoy our stay before dark. We ate at Sammy's and had famous pie shakes and burgers....so good!

Baby wallabee! He liked me, but not Justin. His name is Rudy

this sunset looks like the earth's interior to me...core, mantle, crust.

straw tunnel

I bet they hide scary people behind here when it's haunted



That night Justin had a bunch of guy friends over to do man cave stuff, so I hung out with his friend Jeremy's wife, Katrina. We painted nails and watched 27 Dresses, and then when Jeremy got home I OWNED them at this Asian game called Gang of Four.

In other news, Justin is talking to his boss about working full time for BYU-Idaho when he graduates. They want to keep him around, but they may have to pull a few strings to keep him after he graduates. Like I said before, I have a geology field trip this week in the middle of nowhere Utah. We'll be collecting Trilobites...which are Arthropods, in case you were wondering. I'll leave Thursday at like 6AM and get back Saturday around midnight. I'm bummed I'll miss stake conference Saturday night, and the new Project Runway. Oh well, I'm over it. That's it for this week! Get excited for some geology pictures next week. =]


1 comment: